Thursday, July 2, 2009

A Life Changing Experience

Nearly every year, the week between Christmas and New Years sees me starting a knitting project. The kids are home for the holidays, we have a tiny house and it gets pretty chaotic. So I knit. For me, it’s rhythmic, manual mental therapy.

I was working with an assortment of Italian yarns called Dune that come in wild color combinations, often with a metallic thread coursing through– silver, gold or copper. As I created my beret/scarf sets, my thoughts turned to bead embellishments, something that would really add a custom touch. But I didn’t know anything about beads or beading

So I signed up for an introductory 2-hour Sunday beading class at a local bead store; there were 8 of us around the table. The first thing the instructor said is, “We’re going to make a bracelet and a necklace.” Mentally I groused, “I don’t want to make a necklace or a bracelet that I’ll just throw away – I want to know how to bead on yarn.” We were given 5 minutes to choose some findings and stones for the necklace.

Two hours later, everyone had completed their projects and left the store. Two hours after that I was still rearranging components on a bead board…and the shop was ready to close. I dumped everything in a bag and went home.

I played with the parts off and on for the next 10 days. On the tenth day, I completed my necklace design, held it up, and in that split second I knew my life had changed forever.

No comments: